The COVID-19 virus pandemic has certainly changed the way many individuals are conducting themselves, their lives and the lives of their families. It is important, now, more than ever, to remain aware of the guidelines that have been provided by the CDC to stay healthy and resilient. Protocols for cleaning and disinfecting have been established that should be followed and will help keep your living areas clean and disinfected throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
All those areas where there is frequent heavy traffic and areas that are exposed to your hand and the hands of others need extra thorough cleaning and disinfecting at this time.
Clean Hands Often
It’s especially important to wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds. Also, when using a hand sanitizer, make sure it contains at least 60 percent alcohol. Here are a few key times to clean your hands:
- After blowing one’s nose, coughing, or sneezing
- After use of the restroom
- Before eating or preparing food
- After contact with animals or pets
- Before or after providing care for another person
- Immediately after removing gloves or contact with someone sick
General Household Cleaning
- Wear usable or disposable gloves for routine cleaning.
- Surfaces should be cleaned with soap and water, followed by EPA-registered disinfectant. This will reduce germs, dirt and impurities on the surface.
- Routine cleaning of the surfaces that are frequently touched — tables, doorknobs, light switches, counter tops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, sinks, etc.
- Use a recommended EPA-registered household disinfectant. Follow the instructions on the label. Try to allow the product to remain wet on the surface for a period of time.
- Make sure that gloves are worn and proper ventilation is used when application of disinfectant product is applied.
- Diluted household bleach solutions can be used if appropriate for the surface being cleaned. Household bleach has a Sodium Hypochlorite concentration of 5-6%. Solution is made with 4 t. bleach with 1 quart of room temperature water.
- Apply bleach solution to surfaces and let rest for at least 1 minute.
Aloha Cleaning follows the EPA Viral Emergency Pathogen Policy for performing thorough disinfectant cleaning. Cleaning of visible dirty surfaces followed by complete disinfection is a best practice for the prevention of COVID-19. Not only must we practice effective hygiene practices, but we must also recognize the need for complete disinfecting at this time.